For 2020, the Ohio Local History Alliance awarded Digitization Grants to three different projects, distributing a total of $3428.02. We are proud to offer this program annually and help Ohio’s local history organizations digitally preserve and make accessible their amazing collections. For more information, see our Digitization Grants page.
2020 Grant Recipients
$1,990 to the Alliance Historical Society for Digitizing Alliance’s Newspapers – The Alliance Historical Society will digitize the 1921-1924 issues of The Alliance Review and add them to the existing Ohio Memory collection Alliance Review. The Alliance Review is the only complete primary source of information about the city of Alliance and the surrounding areas. With its continuous publication since 1871, the newspaper includes data on births, deaths, marriages, local politics and news about industry and social organizations.
$288.02 to Four Corners Historical Cooperative for Malinta-Grelton High School Photo Collection – This collection was donated to Four Corners Historical Cooperative, Inc. (FCHC) by the Patrick Henry School District, a consolidated school district that includes the rural communities of Malinta and Grelton located in Northwest Ohio. Individuals researching genealogy may find their ancestors among the graduates, and this might turn out to be the only opportunity of a photo of their relative. Photos date from 1930 to 1968.
$1,150 to the Clinton County Historical Society for Our Hometown Artist: Digitization of World Famous Quaker Artist Eli Harvey’s Works (Part 1) – Eli Harvey was an internationally renowned American artist, painter, and sculptor, who was born near Todds Fork in Ogden, Ohio, located within Clinton County. Harvey was raised a Quaker and put himself through art school at the Cincinnati Art Academy beginning in 1884. In 1889, he moved to Paris to study under the great artists of the time and exhibited work in the Paris Salons. He is well-known for his lifelike lion sculptures that were commissioned for the New York Zoological Park from 1901-1903 and the J.C. Penney bull for mail order merchant James C. Penney. Before Harvey’s death in 1957, he donated a large art collection to the Clinton County Historical Society. The collection to be digitized includes 38.1 linear feet of material, and it will be useful for individuals researching multiple topics including well known artists and their work, Quakers, and Clinton Countians as Eli Harvey was the culmination all three.