Regional Meetings Going Virtual in 2021!
At the heart of the Ohio Local History Alliance’s mission are Regional Meetings. The people you’ll meet and the ideas you’ll gather will inspire you, connect you to others in the field, and educate you — so you can do an even better job of preserving and sharing your community’s history.
With the wellbeing of all potential attendees in mind and to ensure meetings are able to occur in some capacity, this year’s regional meetings will be held virtually rather than physically. For the reasons of practicality, two regional meetings will be combined into one virtual meeting. Regional representatives from each region will be collaborating to plan the joint meeting and find speakers that mutually serve the needs of those regions represented.
Virtual meetings will continue to function similarly to our past in-person regional meetings with a business meeting, elections, two content presentations, sharing time, and a “tour” of the host sites. Each Region will go into a “breakout room” for the Business Meeting, including the election of Regional Representatives. All meetings will begin at 9 am and adjourn at 12:30 pm. We will leave the meeting open until 1:30 for those who may wish to chat informally with colleagues over lunch.
Registration for the Regional Meetings will look a little different this year, because we’re using Eventbrite rather than the Ohio History Store. Everyone will register online with Eventbrite, regardless of whether you’re paying with credit card or by check. This allows us to make sure we receive all registrations in a timely manner, despite challenges with mail delivery. The registration deadline will the be the day before each meeting.
Though we would be very grateful if you’re able to register at the normal Regional Meeting price of $30, we also understand that this has been a difficult year financially, so you will be able to choose the amount that you can afford (as low as $1). Please note: when you click “Tickets” on Eventbrite, you’ll first be asked to enter how much per registrant you are able to pay, and then click “Checkout.” On the next screen, you will be asked to enter information about the people registering and what region you are from.
March 6: Regions 5 & 10 – Click here to register.
- Building and Maintaining a Relationship with Your Downtown and Community with Judy Bratten and Paul Zuros, Historic Fort Steuben
- How to Handle Angry Visitors: COVID edition with Wendy Zucal and Jacob Masters, Dennison Railroad Depot Museum
March 13: Regions 3 & 4 – Click here to register.
- Cover Your ASSets: Be Prepared with Mary Plazo, Akron-Summit County Public Library; Leianne Neff Heppner, Summit County Historical Society; and Greg Palumbo, Lakewood Historical Society
- Adapting Your Programming to an Online Audience with Rebecca Urban, Peninsula Foundation; Melissa Karman, The Sutliff Museum; and Barbara Piscopo and Jenn McManamon, Lorain Historical Society
March 20: Regions 8 & 9 – Click here to register.
- Building an Internship Program to Involve Young People in Your Organization with Brad Davis, Southeast Ohio History Center
- Overcoming Obstacles to Historic Preservation in Your Community with Tom O’Grady, Southeast Ohio History Center, and Carrie Rhodus, Ohio History Service Corps
April 10: Regions 2 & 6 – Click here to register.
- Overcoming Obstacles for the Preservation of Poindexter Village with Reita Smith, James Preston Poindexter Foundation
- Grants for Your Institution: Where to Find Them and How to Get Them with Ron Davidson, Sandusky Libraries
April 17: Regions 1 & 7 – Click here to register.
- Online Educational Programs for a Pandemic and Beyond with Michael McMaster, Wood County Museum; Chris Moynihan, Armstrong Air and Space Museum; and Kyle Driscoll, Ohio History Service Corps
- Storytelling as Research: Reaching Underserved Communities with Jo Ann Burkhardt, Defiance College
Past Regional Meetings
Access resources from past Regional Meetings.