Because the Ohio Local History Alliance aims to inspire, educate, and connect history organizations across the state of Ohio, we know that a cornerstone of our community is having dedicated staff members that propel our member organizations forward. We offer our job board in the hopes of connecting qualified individuals to organizations seeking skilled, enthusiastic employees.
Since January 1, 2019, OLHA has required that all organizations posting a position on our job board include a salary range for the listing, as well as the employment classification (part-time, full-time, seasonal, hourly, salary, etc.) Non-members will also be asked to pay a $35 fee per listing. The organization will then have the option to apply that $35 toward an appropriate level of membership so that future job postings may be free. Posting on the Ohio Local History Alliance job board is always free to OLHA members.
To post a job, email the job description, including the salary information and employment classification, to email@example.com with “Job Listing” in the subject line.
Job postings are cleared from this page every two months.
Development Coordinator, Wood County Historical Society
The Wood County Historical Society seeks a professional part-time (20 hrs/week) Development Coordinator who enjoys interesting and challenging work that will help preserve the history of Wood County for generations to come.
The Development Coordinator will create and implement strategies and fundraising initiatives to ensure financial sustainability and organizational growth within the Wood County Historical Society. The Coordinator is responsible for identification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of prospective and secured donors on both individual and corporate levels, including outreach and building legacy support.
The Wood County Historical Center & Museum annually serves over 9,000 visitors, students, and adult learners through tours, events, and educational outreach. Society funds play a significant role in protecting these resources for future generations.
The Society is a not-for-profit 501(c)(3) community organization, dedicated to making connections between the past, present, and future by capturing stories and cultivating memories connected to Wood County and Ohio. The Society works in conjunction with the Wood County Board of Commissioners to maintain and promote the Wood County Historical Center & Museum (the former Wood County Infirmary) as an educational tourist attraction and community resource. The Society is not a county agency and this position will not receive any compensation or benefits from Wood County. The Society is governed by a Board of Directors, but also operates in a congruous environment with the staff of the Historical Center & Museum.
This position reports to the Wood County Historical Society President on behalf of the Board of Directors, with guidance from the Director of the Wood County Museum. Average workweek commitment is 20 hours. Daily and weekly hours may vary depending on deadlines, time-sensitive tasks, and other museum needs, which may include some weekends and evenings. Salary is $13,000 to $15,000 depending on experience.
- Create and implement an annual comprehensive Development Plan to be reviewed and approved by the Museum Director and Society Board.
- Identify new gift prospects at the individual and corporate levels, cultivate relationships, and secure sponsorships and donors; match potential donors’ interests with Society funding opportunities.
- Create and actively manage prospect and donor portfolios. Must be comfortable using database and spreadsheet software.
- Foster a culture of philanthropy throughout the organization by developing new strategies for sponsorships.
- Display integrity and discretion in regards to the organization, its mission, members, and donors.
- Actively work with the Board of Director’s Development Sub-committee.
- Attend Museum staff meetings and other relevant committee meetings as needed to provide a fundraising perspective.
- Possess proven ability to present complex information in a clear and compelling manner in both written and verbal form.
- Work with the Society Treasurer, Bookkeeper, and Museum Director to ensure that gift figures and reports are accurate, on deadline, and reconciled.
- Carry out museum operations as needed.
- Candidates should have at least one year of successful development and fundraising experience.
- A Bachelor’s or Associate’s degree preferred. Experience with non-profit organizations a plus.
- Demonstrated success of fundraising best practices to build relationships with individual and corporate prospects.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office products including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint; donor
- database software such as Past Perfect, Microsoft Access, or equivalent, or the ability to demonstrate transferable technology skills from similar products, a plus. Self-motivated and self-directed, but with a collaborative style that fosters teamwork and cooperation with the museum staff and Society.
- Excellent organizational, analytical, and problem solving skills.
- Some experience with event planning desirable.
- Reliable transportation and ability to travel within Wood County.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, including some weekends and evenings.
Applications should include a one-page letter of intent and interest, a current resume, and three reference contacts. This position will remain open until filled.
Paper and electronic PDF submissions accepted. Send to:
Wood County Museum
ATTN: WCHS Development Search Committee
13660 County Home Rd.
Bowling Green, OH 43402
E-mailed PDF submissions should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Development Search Committee” in the subject line.
Part-time Collections Manager, Trumbull County Historical Society
The Trumbull County Historical Society seeks to hire a part-time Collections Manager to assist with a grant-funded collections cataloging, rehousing, and data entry project. This position is for 20 hours a week. Compensation is set at $13/hour.
Application review will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Please submit a cover letter and resume to TCHS Director Meghan Reed via email: email@example.com.
Walk-ins and phone calls will not be accepted. Trumbull County Historical Society is an equal opportunity employer.
- Act as an advocate/liaison for the Trumbull County Historical Society and the surrounding community
- Create inventories for a variety of museum artifact collections, photograph artifacts, and maintain best practices for standards of object care
- Create entries in CatalogIt, TCHS’s collections management software, and participate in CatalogIt trainings
- Assist with a large-scale collections move and with the creation and organization of collections storage spaces
- Participate in museum webinars and trainings related to best practices in collections management
- Participate in conversations with a grant-funded collections conservator and utilize TCHS resources to conduct object research as necessary
- Other duties as assigned by the Director
- Bachelor’s degree in History, Museum Studies , or a related field. Master’s degree preferred.
- Ability to develop strong, positive relationships with visitors and community partners
- Excellent written, oral, interpersonal, and computer skills
- Self-motivated with the ability to work independently
- Positive attitude
- Strong professional ethics
Administrator, Robbins Hunter Museum
REPORTS TO: Executive Director
EMPLOYMENT STATUS: Part-time (18-25 hours/week); hourly rate $13-$14/hour, with the opportunity to have a pay raise after the first year
POSITION SUMMARY: The Robbins Hunter Museum’s (RHM) Administrator provides office support to the director, board of trustees, volunteers and visitors by handling a variety of tasks to ensure that all interactions between the organization and the community are positive. This position works to advance the museum’s mission to inspire appreciation and understanding of the architecturally significant Avery-Downer House, its collections, and the stories of those who lived there.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Collaboratively works with RHM Executive Director to assist the Board of Trustees and provides all new board members an onboarding notebook.
- Answers and responds to all telephone, email, website, and drop-in inquiries.
- Responsible for keeping database current (solicitation memberships, letters, thank you letters, donor information, etc.).
- Maintains the master calendar online for all museum events, special events, meetings and tours.
- Keeps inventory current for office, rental, and house supplies.
- Coordinates and assists with all mailings including Membership Drive, Annual Fund Drive, etc.
- Process invoices, expenses, earned and contributed income, memberships, and mail.
- Creates and records deposits of all accounts and prepares monthly reconciliations.
- Manages inventory and income of RHM products at Just WRITE.
- Works with RHM Executive Director on the day-to-day physical operations of the RHM including scheduling maintenance, grounds care, facility set up, and tear down.
- In partnership with RHM Executive Director, creates and executes museum marketing plan.
- Collaborates with RHM Executive Director to write and execute content for website, targeted emails, and newsletters.
- Monitors and posts content for social media and online presence.
- In collaboration with the Executive Director, assist in creating and sending emails for programs, special events and other RHM information.
- Oversee the RHM volunteer program. (Recruit, onboard, train and schedule volunteers.
- Maintains all volunteer data, including but not limited personal information, required forms, hours and other necessary items.
- Oversees facility rental inquiries and contracts.
- Assists special event and fundraiser chairs as needed.
- Attends special events and fundraisers outside of office hours as needed.
- Assists with all other general duties as needed.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Associates degree required, Bachelor’s degree preferred, with 1-2 years demonstrated office administration and communications experience required. An equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered.
- Exceptional organizational ability, attention to detail, and can-do attitude are essential.
- Proven ability to set and manage priorities handle multiple assignments and deadlines and operate in a flexible, professional manner.
- Proficiency with accounting software and online banking.
- Must be able to lift 10-50 pounds.
- Ability to work independently with limited supervision, as well as part of a small team.
- Exceptional communication skills including oral, writing, editing and proofreading.
- Strong analytical thinking and excellent troubleshooting skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office products, including Word, Excel and PowerPoint, database management.
- Must be able to work some evenings and weekends.
- Proficiency with major social media platforms and social media management tools.
If interested in this position, please email resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by Aug. 15, 2020.