The Massillon Heritage Foundation, a 501(c)(3) non-profit corporation, was formed in 1976 with the purpose of preserving and restoring Five Oaks mansion in Massillon, Ohio. Constructed in 1894, the massive three-story Romanesque mansion anchors Massillon’s Fourth Street NE National Register Historic District. Noted Cleveland architect Charles F. Schweinfurth designed Five Oaks for prominent local businessman J. Walter McClymonds and his wife Flora Russell McClymonds. Five Oaks is the current home of the Massillon Woman’s Club and has been on the National Register of Historic Places since April 1973.
Foundation membership totals over 300 individuals committed to the preservation of this historic landmark. A volunteer Board of Trustees manages the day-to-day operations of the Foundation and directs preservation and restoration projects. Five Oaks is prominent in local history as J. Walter McClymonds served as president of the Russell Company, a steam engine manufacturer active during America’s Gilded Age. Mr. McClymonds was a personal friend of President William McKinley, a frequent visitor to Five Oaks.
Five Oaks, located at 210 4th Street NE, Massillon, Ohio, is open for public tours during July and August, as well as other times by appointment. The Massillon Woman’s Club sponsors open houses and events, particularly around holidays. For a photo tour of the home, visit www.five-oaks.org/tour/tour.html. Additional information available at www.five-oaks.org or by phone at 330.479.1854.