Internship Planning Checklist
Are You Ready for An Internship? Internship Planning Checklist
Colleen Benoit, graduate student, Department of History, Kent State University
Internships are an excellent way to receive hands-on training while building your resume and building your network. The checklist below will guide you through the steps of planning an internship.
What to do before you look:
• Prepare your resume and cover letter. Utilize College Career Services resources if
• Be sure you have taken any prerequisite coursework that may be necessary to fulfill
• Determine your experiential learning preferences. What types of job skills would
be helpful in your future career choice? Do you require a paid internship? Can you
manage your schedule to complete the hours required?
• Seek out faculty who may be willing to provide a reference and serve as a mentor. Ask
them to recommend a host institution.
• Check the Master Schedule at your institution to see when college-credited internships
are being offered.
Searching for an internship:
• Search your university’s College Career Services website for internship opportunities.
• Ask a faculty member to recommend an institution.
• Be prepared to interview!
• Be on time.
• Dress for the job you want.
• Leave the cell phone off.
• Be sure expectations are clear.
• Be sure to thank the interviewer(s) for their time, and ask for business cards with
• Send a follow up thank-you letter within 48 hours of interviewing.
Know your resources!
• College Career Services
• Department Faculty
• Advising Office