- This event has passed.
Gravestone Preservation Workshop
June 9, 2018 @ 9:00 am - 5:00 pm$50 – $53.03
The Brownhelm Historical Association is sponsoring this gravestone preservation workshop where you will learn how to properly and effectively clean, restore, and preserve gravestones during this 2-day course. The training will be led by Mark Morton of Gravestone Guardians of Ohio. Specifically, we will be learning the 6 basic & most important steps to cemetery preservation.Lunch and drinks will be provided by the Brownhelm Historical Association.
- CLEANING: Proper grave marker cleaning with a safe & gentle biowash product. The same one used at Arlington National Cemetery.
- THE SIMPLE 2 PIECE TABLET & BASE SOCKET: We will reset a marble tombstone in a sandstone base by leveling the base & mortaring in the tombstone.
- TABLET SET: We will dig a level a slot in the ground & use the rule of 1/3’s to teach the proper way to set a simple tablet type of tombstone. This procedure is also the way similar upright military markers are placed.
- EPOXY: A demonstration of how to clean, align, & fix a broken tablet with a state of the art epoxy will be given.
- SMALL MULTI PIECE MONUMENT RECONSTRUCTION: A small monument will be chosen & used as an example. This is where we use the tri-pod, hoist, & straps to disassemble the monument, clean it, level it, & reassemble it.
- INFILL INSTRUCTION: This is the final touch to tombstone & monument repair. It’s basically the fine mortar used to fill in cracks & aesthetic damage when the repairs are finished.
**You may register by mail by sending a check to the Brownhelm Historical Association at P.O. Box 303, Vermilion, Ohio 44089. Please put ‘Cemetery Workshop’ in the memo field on the check.**
To post an event listing on this page, email email@example.com with “Event Listing” in the subject line.