- This event has passed.
Gravestone Preservation Workshop 2019
June 8 @ 9:00 am - June 9 @ 5:00 pm$50
The Brownhelm Historical Association is sponsoring a gravestone preservation workshop where you will learn how to properly and effectively clean, restore, and preserve gravestones during this 2-day course. The training will be led by Mark Morton of Gravestone Guardians of Ohio. Specifically, we will be learning the 6 basic & most important steps to cemetery preservation. For those who attended last year, more advanced techniques and demonstrations will be available. Lunch and drinks will be provided by the Brownhelm Historical Association.
1. CLEANING: Proper grave marker cleaning with a safe & gentle biowash product. The same one used at Arlington National Cemetery.
2. THE SIMPLE 2 PIECE TABLET & BASE SOCKET: We will reset a marble tombstone in a sandstone base by leveling the base & mortaring in the tombstone.
3. TABLET SET: We will dig a level a slot in the ground & use the rule of 1/3’s to teach the proper way to set a simple tablet type of tombstone. This procedure is also the way similar upright military markers are placed.
4. EPOXY: A demonstration of how to clean, align, & fix a broken tablet with a state of the art epoxy will be given.
5. SMALL MULTI PIECE MONUMENT RECONSTRUCTION: A small monument will be chosen & used as an example. This is where we use the tri-pod, hoist, & straps to disassemble the monument, clean it, level it, & reassemble it.
6. INFILL INSTRUCTION: This is the final touch to tombstone & monument repair. It’s basically the fine mortar used to fill in cracks & aesthetic damage when the repairs are finished.
**If you need to pay by check – please email firstname.lastname@example.org first.**
**RAIN DATE WEEKEND OF JUNE 15-16, 2019!**