- This event has passed.
Canal Society of Ohio 2018 Spring Tour
April 20, 2018 - April 22, 2018$70 – $95
Tracing the Ohio & Walhonding Canals: Newcomerstown to Mohawk Dam to Roscoe Village
We look forward to exploring part of the Ohio Canal on the way to the Walhonding Canal as far west as Mohawk Dam. Saturday bus trip with end with a private mini-tour of the charming Roscoe Village, lovingly restored by Ed and Frances Montgomery inspired in part by Colonial Williamsburg. Our headquarters hotel will be the Coshocton Village Inn & Suites at 115 N Water Street Coshocton, Ohio 43812. Toll free: 888-395-9316. Call before Wednesday, April 4 to get the group rate. Use group name “Canal Society of Ohio”. Queen room $99.95 plus tax or King room $109.95 plus tax.
Highlights of the Tour:
- Visit to Six Mile Dam with special guide Michael Greenlee, ODNR Division of Wildlife, District Four. This may be one of the last opportunities to see the dam in its present state as it is scheduled to be decommissioned at the end of 2018.
- Private tour led by the Army Corps of Engineers of the dramatic Art Deco Mohawk Dam built as part of the Muskingham Conservancy in 1937.
- Various canal structures including the one-of-a-kind Triple Lock at Roscoe Basin.
- Friday, April 20, 6:15-8:15pm: Johnson Humrick Museum 300 N Whitewoman St., Coshocton, OH 43812, will host our Friday evening registration and tour preview. Come at 6:15 to browse exhibits and connect with other tour attendees. At 7:15 there will be a slide show tour preview by Mary Starbuck and Friends.
- Saturday, April 21, 7:30am: Begin loading bus in hotel parking lot
- 8:00am – 4:30pm: Day-long bus tour, lunch at Roberta’s in Warsaw included.
- 6:00pm: Evening Festivities: Ground floor Roscoe Village Visitors Center. There will be a cash bar open featuring beer and local wines.
- 6:30pm: Pasta Buffet
- 7:15pm: Guest Speaker Michael Greenlee, Fish Management Supervisor, ODNR Division of Wildlife, District Four, “Six Mile Dam, Past, Present/Future”
- Optional Sunday April 22, 9:00 – 10:00am Guided Tour of Caldersburg Cemetery $5.00 per person payable that morning
To register or for more information email Mary Starbuck, Tour Committee member at firstname.lastname@example.org, 330-217-1765
To post an event listing on this page, email email@example.com with “Event Listing” in the subject line.